Thursday 16 August 2012

Meeting the 'Orange Man' & Breaking out


During my recovery i had asked my mum to find 'the orange man' because that was all could remember of the work man who stood over me and kept me focused on him.
At first my mum thought it was the drugs talking, but as the days passed i was able to give more details.
Soon there was a man hunt for him, involving Bradford Council, my family and work colleagues, and eventually they found him.
Then the day was set for him to come and see me on the ward. I was so nervous and had in my head what i was going to say. I was going to tell him thank you for saving my life, and being there for me.
But as soon as i saw him come on to the ward and i saw his face, and he saw me i just burst into tears and so did he and we hugged. We talked for over an hour and Martin Copley turned out to be a lovely, caring and modest man who happened to have been a ex soldier, who knew how to deal with trauma.
What were the odds of someone like that being there, there was definitely someone looking out for me.

As the days went by in the high dependency unit, the nurses noticed that i was becoming less reliant on them, making my own bed, and doing my own dressings. I was still very tired as i wasn't able to get much sleep as the other patients, who were often old ladies who had broken something, arrived from nursing homes with dementia, and would scream in the night for a nurse, or shout 'where am i, where am i.' 'Help me, help me.'
It really was like living in an asylum.

So when the nurse came round with her clip board saying to each bed, dependant, dependant, then got to my clean made bed with a my clean dressings. She said 'okay, you are now independent i will inform the doctors.' I was so happy and couldn't wait and packed my bags.

The doctors came round signing me off different things' and the nurses sorted me out with medication and the wrappings i would need. Then as i was finishing my lunch a doctor came to see me and said.
'i'm glad i caught you before you were discharged, i just wanted to meet this miracle girl they are all talking about.' i said i wasn't a miracle, and he said 'ho, yes you are lets start with your leg. If some one is a straight up amputee, the nerves and veins are severed and there is a risk of high blood loss, and so you are given a 50% survival rate. In your case you had a de-glove where the nerves and veins were stretched and torn over a distance, that sort of trauma put you in the 10% survival rate.'
At this point my folk had stopped half way to my mouth. 'Then the other miracle is your foot, in your toes are even smaller veins and nerves and these were badly crushed you should have lost those last three toes but you didn't, you truly are a miracle.'  I put my folk down and blushed and all i could say was thanks I'm just glad to be alive.
They told my parents i should have been in hospital for 6 months, then reduced it to 3 months, i was out in 5 weeks.


My first day back at my parents


No comments:

Post a Comment